Saturday, February 16, 2008

in the grip of strong feeling



I have this mathematical theory of ingratitude
that, three months, four days and 6 hours ago.
was submitted for publication in the Journal
of Grudges and Self Pity.
It was received,
subjected to peer review
and ultimately rejected.

"Your data is flawed...",
the word came back,
from the editors.
"Your methodology suspect,
your controls inadequate."

"Sons of bitches."
I spat, threw the letter down.
"I won't forget this", I said.

I slammed the door and
walked outside
to give my dudgeon a little space.

8 Comments:

Blogger Karen Meyer said...

I would never reject this beautiful piece--I love it!

8:43 PM, February 16, 2008  
Blogger studio lolo said...

In your bleakest of landscapes, there's always a light that shines. Love this.

9:06 PM, February 16, 2008  
Blogger ElizT said...

Once your dudgeon has come down a little, look at page 4, footnote 6A, there is a misplaced reference.
yours,
Ruth Less

9:45 PM, February 16, 2008  
Blogger Elin said...

beautiful, as usual

10:52 PM, February 16, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I really love the mood you evoke in this piece. The colors are great.

12:41 PM, February 17, 2008  
Blogger macoy said...

It's wonderful how the poems and images play off one another. Thank you for your comments on my blog!

2:02 AM, February 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a word this work is captivatingly stunning. [is that a word?]
Anyways, just beautiful, Neil!

1:32 PM, February 23, 2008  
Blogger Lori Witzel said...

Oh damn, you gave me a bitter-sweet grin wit' this one. Very fine, as usual.

4:55 PM, February 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home